I am currently living in Palmdale. We cover two wards, Ana Verde and Agua Dulce (which includes Arcadia) I am in the desert. It MAY be uglier than Utah. The sunsets and sunrises are GORGEOUS though. And the palm trees are the only reminder that I'm in Cali. I love it here though. The area we cover is HUGE. It takes like 30 minutes to get to the church building in Ana Verde and it is in the middle of NO WHERE. But the one in Agua Dulce/Palmdale is pretty close. Our house is super nice. They call it the princess house. I still don't know why missionaries live in it. My companion and I live in the master bedroom and we have this walk in shower with a spa tub and a balcony. It is super ridiculous.
Now, I didn't think the fact that I didn't eat cheese would be THAT huge of an issue. I told my companion, Sister Larsen, about it and she thought "Yeah, cheese is common, but not THAT common." Let me just tell you how our first dinner appointment went. We had baked potato soup, cheese? CHECK. Cheese toast. And Caesar Salad with extra cheese. How did I handle this? I put a little bit of soup in my bowl. Some salad on my plate and took a piece of toast. I took the cheese off the toast when no one was looking at stuffed it in my napkin. I moved the soup in my bowl around so it looked like I ate it all but what was left. And I picked at the salad. The toast was good! I was certain to throw away my napkin myself so they wouldn't find the cheese. I felt terrible that I had to do that. Sister Larsen then realized how common cheese was. I'm still not sure how to handle this situation, Maybe next transfer I'll say something? Not sure.
This area is bomb by the way. I am not sure what I did to deserve it. IT IS AWESOME. We are planning to have at least 5 baptisms just in this transfer. And we added another one on Saturday, but his mom probably won't let him... bummer. On Saturday we were contacting people and we got 4 new investigators! The Lord is preparing SOOOOOO many people here. It is so nuts! I need to be totally on my game because so many people want the gospel right now! Sister Larsen and I are always talking about how so much is expected of us especially with how many investigators the Lord has put in our path. We are always striving to have the spirit with us, ALWAYS. I am so grateful the Lord trusts me with this responsibility. We have this one investigator that we are preparing to be baptized on Oct. 17 and he has SUCH GREAT FAITH. Everything we teach him he is just like "yeah totally, I'll live that law. No big deal. I know it is true. I know the Lord will answer my prayers" ETC. He rocks. My goodness. This is so cool.
So the other day we were in a SUPER SKETCHY part of town trying to find this less active man. We finally found his SCARY house that was totally secluded and it was dark by now and I said "Sister Larsen, I don't feel safe......" she said "fine, will you get out and back me up?" I said "No, I WILL NOT BACK YOU UP! (Insert from Mom - missionaries are required to guide the driver of the car when they back up) Seriously?!" SO I didn't. We laughed... slash were freaked out and left haha. I guess it is good that she was being obedient. But desperate times call for desperate measures. I think I was justified.
God has restored his church to the earth today. He doesn't want us to be confused. That is why the earth started with one church. And that is why there is one true church today with the Authority to Baptize. We have a Prophet today that receives revelation from God, for his church. It is so obvious God loves his children.
Sometimes it is crazy to me how people just believe what I am telling them.... But then I realize, "Well duh, why wouldn't they. It's true!"
Now, I didn't think the fact that I didn't eat cheese would be THAT huge of an issue. I told my companion, Sister Larsen, about it and she thought "Yeah, cheese is common, but not THAT common." Let me just tell you how our first dinner appointment went. We had baked potato soup, cheese? CHECK. Cheese toast. And Caesar Salad with extra cheese. How did I handle this? I put a little bit of soup in my bowl. Some salad on my plate and took a piece of toast. I took the cheese off the toast when no one was looking at stuffed it in my napkin. I moved the soup in my bowl around so it looked like I ate it all but what was left. And I picked at the salad. The toast was good! I was certain to throw away my napkin myself so they wouldn't find the cheese. I felt terrible that I had to do that. Sister Larsen then realized how common cheese was. I'm still not sure how to handle this situation, Maybe next transfer I'll say something? Not sure.
This area is bomb by the way. I am not sure what I did to deserve it. IT IS AWESOME. We are planning to have at least 5 baptisms just in this transfer. And we added another one on Saturday, but his mom probably won't let him... bummer. On Saturday we were contacting people and we got 4 new investigators! The Lord is preparing SOOOOOO many people here. It is so nuts! I need to be totally on my game because so many people want the gospel right now! Sister Larsen and I are always talking about how so much is expected of us especially with how many investigators the Lord has put in our path. We are always striving to have the spirit with us, ALWAYS. I am so grateful the Lord trusts me with this responsibility. We have this one investigator that we are preparing to be baptized on Oct. 17 and he has SUCH GREAT FAITH. Everything we teach him he is just like "yeah totally, I'll live that law. No big deal. I know it is true. I know the Lord will answer my prayers" ETC. He rocks. My goodness. This is so cool.
So the other day we were in a SUPER SKETCHY part of town trying to find this less active man. We finally found his SCARY house that was totally secluded and it was dark by now and I said "Sister Larsen, I don't feel safe......" she said "fine, will you get out and back me up?" I said "No, I WILL NOT BACK YOU UP! (Insert from Mom - missionaries are required to guide the driver of the car when they back up) Seriously?!" SO I didn't. We laughed... slash were freaked out and left haha. I guess it is good that she was being obedient. But desperate times call for desperate measures. I think I was justified.
God has restored his church to the earth today. He doesn't want us to be confused. That is why the earth started with one church. And that is why there is one true church today with the Authority to Baptize. We have a Prophet today that receives revelation from God, for his church. It is so obvious God loves his children.
Sometimes it is crazy to me how people just believe what I am telling them.... But then I realize, "Well duh, why wouldn't they. It's true!"
Current mailing address: Sister Heidi Starr


CUTE HOUSE! I'd live there!
ReplyDeleteSo AMAZING!!! LOVE it!!! And yes, you are justified in not going in the night to that house...listen to your heart. Love you!!! ~cousin Amber :)
ReplyDelete